How Often Should I Redesign My Website?
The concept of the redesign hasn’t been so widespread recently, there was an opinion that the once created website wouldn’t need any changes and updates. They were declined by the fear of losing recognition, and therefore the client.
This risk has not disappeared today – for many companies a redesign is an objective necessity that includes the principle “do no harm” as the most important. However, any change is always associated with risk, and where the risk is there is fear. On the other hand, it shouldn’t be forgotten that there is no movement and development without a risk.
So let’s make it clear what actually redesign is. As you have already guessed from the word itself, this is the improvement of the appearance (design) of the site. It implies not only a change in site design, there are also changes in the structure of the site (modernization) which will be most in demand by the target audience of the site and corresponds to the needs of the company.
The modernization and redesign of the site include:
- changes in the structure of the website;
- optimization of site modules;
- creation and filling of information sections;
- implementation of a content management system (CMS);
- simplification of site navigation;
- simplification of the interface for buying and viewing goods.
What are the reasons for a website redesign?
The purposes of the website redesign may be the following:
- Visual inconsistency with modern requirements. This problem can be seen not only by browsing the sites of competitors, but also simply surfing through the World Wide Web. No matter how beautiful the design is, it becomes obsolete and then new ideas for change are needed.
- Changes in the direction of the platform. Naturally, the theme of the site directly affects its appearance. Even minor changes in the information direction or functionality will lead to a mismatch between the old design and the new requirements.
- Problems with attendance or conversion. If the site is not an old one, then permanent edits cannot be avoided. If a clear direction of development is not defined, it is often necessary to make significant and minor changes, including the changes in the design.
- Implementation of new technologies. The external design of the site can be perfect, but if the platform does not meet modern requirements as to functioning (or has no prospects for improvement), then significant technical changes are inevitable. Many website owners are afraid to “move” to a new engine or rewrite even part of the site and then it will leg behind the competitor’s projects.
How often should you redesign a website?
It would be wrong to say that everyone should make a redesign every 4 years, for example. However, it should be taken into account that the standards in the development, technologies, and trends are changing quite often. The average period of the change in trends is 2-5 years. If you want to maintain the status of an up-to-date website, you must carry out a redesign in accordance with this cycle.
Moreover, there are changes in the means of viewing websites. New browsers, new types of devices appear, the share of mobile users increases. Check your site in new conditions. In case your site loses its usability and is not displayed correctly, it’s high time you made a redesign.
In order to understand whether you need to redesign or not, it is sufficient to answer a number of questions. For example:
- Is the site design obsolete?
- Is there a necessity to significantly increase the information?
- Are all the planned functions implemented?
- Do you need quality changes in the content of the site?
- Is the website traffic sufficient?
What are the results of a website redesign?
To objectively evaluate the results of the site “before” and “after” the redesign, you need to take a period of at least 30 days. You can evaluate the work of the updated site by changes in the statistics of attendance or by site conversion (the dynamics of the number of visits to the sections of the site, the time that the visitor spent on it).
Planning and making a redesign, you should take into account that it won’t bring you huge changes in attendance. However, the conversion may increase at several times. As a result, your site will rank higher in search results and, accordingly, will bring you more customers.
Updating and improvement are good goals but already existing users can protest, and if the site redesign is poorly made, then most of the users can be dissatisfied and a part of them can be lost. Therefore, it is recommended to ask visitors how they would like to see the website. It is better to spend a little more money and conduct usability testing than to complain about even greater losses after an unsuccessful experiment. As to the question “how much does it cost to redesign a website”, usually it depends on the changes that should be implemented.
We have a real example of an increased conversion after a website redesign. Our client who provides services in the field of real estate wasn’t satisfied with the attendance, so our team suggested redesign in order to increase the conversion. The usability of the website was improved and there were some changes in the design made. As a result, the conversion of the website increased by almost 30% that is quite a good index for a startup.
Visitors do not know anything about the technical side of the site, they are dealing with the interface which is the design. To ensure a stable promotion of the site and a good traffic, it is important to keep up to date and redesign a website in time. Do not forget that redesign is an important step that requires a thoughtful approach and careful elaboration of the strategy and all the possible consequences.
Posted byJune 5, 2018
Max BabychCEO, Founder
I am serial entrepreneur and IT professional. Launched 4 own products and more than 20 products for customers in SaaS and Marketplace industry
The industry has become tired of MVP requirements and the associated bureaucracy and paperwork. Companies want to be agile enough that they…read more
What does it mean idea validation? And why is it a must-do for any startup? Startup founders continually make the same mistake,…read more
Today Apple Pay accounts for 70% of the world’s card payment transactions, making the Apple payment gateway a must-have for any digital…read more
Whether you are selling something or receiving funds from people using your app, either way you must set up a way to…read more
Analysis is one of the most important parts to consider when building a startup. All too often entrepreneurs fail to validate their…read more
First-time entrepreneurs, as well as those with a portfolio need an MVP for their projects, it is especially important when creating a…read more
I am going to share with you how I created a team of 5 PhD graduates in the field of artificial intelligence…read more
Can we send you our next blog post?
We'll send you about 3-4 posts a month. Only the best stuff you'll like.