Hire Node.js Developers in 2023: Everything You Need To Know
With the increasing complexity of web and mobile applications, more organizations are turning to Node.js developers to develop, deploy, and maintain applications.
Node.js developers are highly in-demand and are critical for organizations to build and maintain cutting-edge applications.
If you’re a product manager, technology director, or startup founder looking to understand how to hire a Node.js developer, this post is for you.
In this article, we’ll explain why it is necessary to hire Node.js programmers and the key steps to help people find and hire a Node.js developer.
If you’re looking for some practical strategies you can use in your startup today, go right to the bonus infographic.
What is a Node.js Developer?
They work closely with front-end developers, project managers, and other stakeholders to deliver high-quality web applications that meet the needs of businesses and end-users.
Node.js developers offer help on the front end. Developers are responsible for some of the following:
- Deploying different network applications
- Developing server-side components
- Monitoring the central database
- Designing the client-facing user interface
- Collaborating with front-end developers
- Making necessary repairs
Node.js jobs and other web development positions will grow 13% by 2028.
This number is a much higher growth rate than other occupations. 45% of Node.js developers are between 25-35 years old.
Node.js developers often operate using project databases (95%) and library or front-end frameworks (86%).
Now, let’s explore some of the main reasons that you should consider hiring a Node.js developer to help your business grow.
Why Should You Consider Hiring a Node.js Developer?
Node.js developers are essential for the maintenance and performance of your applications.
If you are wondering why businesses want to hire a Node.js developer, consider the reasons below.
Reason 1. Expertise
A Node.js developer can use the correct tools and techniques to ensure a successful web application development project–additionally, experts will know how to handle the system with ease in the simplest way possible.
This expertise ensures that they can deliver high-quality web applications that meet the needs of businesses and end-users.
Reason 2. Simplicity
When you hire Node.js experts, they will be able to navigate the platform with ease.
Node.js is relatively easy to learn and understand, making it an excellent choice for developers new to web development.
This simplicity results in a shorter development time, which translates into cost savings and a faster time-to-market.
Reason 3. Shorter Time-to-Market
Node.js development is also known for its shorter time-to-market.
With a Node.js developer, you can have your applications on the market fast at the lowest possible cost.
Reason 4. Cost-Efficiency
Node.js is also known for its cost efficiency, and there are many cost-effective solutions to hiring a Node.js developer, such as selecting a freelance programmer or hiring an outsourcing development team.
Reason 5. Scalability
Node.js applications can be scaled easily and quickly if the need arises, and an experienced developer can help you scale the software efficiently.
What are the Responsibilities of Node.js Developers at Different Levels of Seniority?
Node.js developers are responsible for a variety of tasks, from back-end development to front-end development.
Let’s break down three seniority levels of Node.js developers: junior, middle, and senior Node.js developers, and their responsibilities.
Junior Node.js Developers
Junior Node.js developers are often graduates with minimal experience with knowledge of the basic functions of Node.js.
To qualify for this position, junior developers will need to know the following:
At this level of seniority, developers will focus on the following tasks:
- Integrating user-facing components from the front end
- Creating reusable and effective code
- Troubleshooting code errors
- Designing applications
- Integrating data storage solutions
The cost of hiring a junior developer typically falls between $20-$30 per hour.
Following your graduation from a junior position, you move on to mid-level Node.js positions.
Middle Node.js Developers
Middle Node.js developers require at least 2 years of experience in the industry and with Node.js, as well as experience with the following:
- Knowledge of the REST paradigm
- Knowledge of TypeScript/CoffeeScript
- Knowledge of working with MySQL/PostgreSQL, Docker, and AWS
Middle Node.js developers for hire have the following responsibilities:
- Writing code for more complex web applications
- Developing modules and libraries
- Solving standard issues
- Tutoring junior Node.js developers
- Implementing server-side security measures into their code
- Designing RESTful APIs.
Hiring a mid-level Node.js developer is costlier than a junior position, as mid-level developers can earn anywhere between $30-$60 per hour.
Following a mid-level Node.js position, qualified individuals can move on to senior-level positions.
Senior Node.js Developers
Senior Node.js developers are highly skilled and responsible for advanced programming needs.
To reach this level of seniority, developers need 5+ years of experience and experience with the following:
- AWS Infrastructure
Senior developers take on some of the following responsibilities:
- Designing the architecture of web applications
- Creating a database schema and software architecture diagrams
- Writing effective code to implement an application
- Working on the server side of an application
- Creating the application logic
- Developing back-end software
- Designing and implementing complex applications
- Improving issues with the application’s code
Because senior developers are experts in Node.js, they are the most expensive to hire.
These developers typically earn between $60-$90 per hour.
Regardless of your seniority level as a Node.js developer, it is essential that you know the different types of developers to find the best position for your skillset.
What are the Types of Node.js Developers?
Below is a breakdown of everything to know about the types of Node.js developers and their purposes.
By Model of Cooperation
Type One. Hiring a Dedicated Node.js Developer for Long-Term Cooperation
Hiring a dedicated Node.js developer for long-term cooperation is a great way to bring an experienced, skilled, and focused developer on board to help with your project.
This type of developer is an expert who has a deep understanding of the language.
When you hire a dedicated Node.js developer, this professional will work on a project full-time.
They will be responsible for the entire development process to ensure that your project is completed quickly and efficiently.
Along with this type of Node.js developer, many developers fall into the realm of type two: a team extension method.
Type Two. Team Extension
With team extension, you can bring in dedicated Node.js developers who have a deep understanding of the language and can help you create a powerful, efficient, and secure application.
Team extension is an excellent option for smaller projects that require only a few coding tasks. Using team extension, you can ensure that your project is developed quickly and efficiently and meets all your requirements.
Though this method is excellent for many Node.js teams, other teams might consider the third method: project-based development.
Type Three. Project-Based
Project-based development is an excellent option for smaller projects that require only a few coding tasks.
It is also ideal for projects requiring only a few weeks or months of development.
It’s important to note that the model of cooperation isn’t the only type of Node.js development to consider.
Other methods operate according to the type of company the developer works for.
By Type of Company
An in-house expert is an excellent option for companies with the resources and budget to hire a full-time developer.
- Pros: The in-house expert is available to the team full-time and can offer guidance and expertise daily. They are familiar with the company’s processes and culture and can quickly integrate into the team.
- Cons: Hiring an in-house expert can be costly, as the company has to pay the expert’s salary, benefits, and other associated costs. Additionally, finding an in-house expert with the right skills and experience can be difficult.
If you feel that an in-house expert isn’t suitable for your organization, consider hiring a local team as an alternative.
A local team consists of a group of Node.js developers who are based in the same geographic area and who can work together on projects.
This type of developer is excellent for companies with multiple projects that need to be completed on a tight timeline.
- Pros: The local team can work together to solve complex problems quickly and efficiently. The team can work with the company’s staff and other stakeholders in person, allowing for better communication and collaboration.
- Cons: Hiring a local team can be costly, given the number of developers coming on board. Companies will shell out money for salaries, benefits, and additional costs for a team that might need to gain the right skills or experience.
Because hiring local teams can be costly, many organizations choose a flexible option like hiring Node.js freelance programmers.
Freelance programmers are excellent for companies that need specific projects completed on a tight timeline and budget.
- Pros: Freelance programmers are typically more cost-effective than in-house or local teams. They are available flexibly, allowing companies to scale up or down depending on their needs.
- Cons: Freelance programmers are not always available on-site and may be unable to solve any issues that may arise in the development process.
If a single freelance programmer doesn’t suit your organization’s demand, another cost-effective option is outsourcing development.
Outsourcing development involves hiring a third-party company to develop Node.js applications. This type of developer is excellent for companies that need a large project completed on a tight timeline and budget.
- Pros: Outsourcing development is typically more cost-effective than in-house or local teams. This type allows companies to access a larger pool of developers with specialized skills and expertise. Outsourcing development can help companies scale up or down quickly and easily.
- Cons: Outsourcing development can be challenging to manage, as the company is not directly in control of the development process.
No matter which option seems best for your organization, there’s one more question you’re likely asking: how much does it cost to hire a Node.js developer?
The answer depends on where you are located.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Node.js Developer?
The price of hiring a Node.js developer varies depending on location. Below are basic estimates of the cost of hiring a Node.js developer across the globe.
- USA: an intermediate-level developer gets about $20-$60 per hour, and an expert gets about $50-$90 per hour. The average annual salary is $110,000.
- Australia: The average annual salary is $90,000, $30-$65 per hour.
- UK: The average annual salary is about $80,000, $25 – $50 per hour.
- Western Europe: The average annual salary is about $30,000 – $50,000 per year, $30-50 per hour.
- Central Europe: The average annual salary is around $18,000 – $32,000 per year, $25-50 per hour.
- Ukraine: The average salary for Node.js developers is $1,200 to $2,200 per month for junior-level, $2,300 to $3,900 for mid-level, and $4,000 to $6,000 per month for senior-level or $15,000 – $30,000 per year. The cost per hour ranges from $20 to $60.
- India: The average annual salary is $15,000, between $9 and $29 per hour.
If you feel that you can afford a quality Node.js developer, it’s time to move forward and follow the correct steps to hire a Node.js developer.
3 Steps of Hiring Node.js Developers
Finding a Node.js developer is easy with the right steps.
Where Can You Find a Node.js Developer?
Once you have a better understanding of the type of Node.js developer you need, you can start looking for one. Here are some of the best places to look for a Node.js developer.
- Freelance platforms like Upwork and Fiverr
- Job Boards including Indeed and Monster
- Professional networks like LinkedIn
- Hire a Node.js Developer from SPDload
Next, you can begin to consider how to measure each candidate to determine the best fit.
How to Choose the Best Fit Node.js Developer?
With so many developers, knowing who is the best fit for your project can be challenging.
Fortunately, you can take a few steps to help ensure you make the right decision.
Step 1. Do Independent Research
Before you meet with the potential candidates, it’s important to do some independent research.
Take the time to look at the portfolios for each developer and read reviews of their work.
This will give you an idea of their skills and experience level.
You can also check their online presence, such as LinkedIn, GitHub, and Stack Overflow, to learn more about their experience and skills.
Step 2. Get Ready for the Meeting
Have a list of questions prepared that you can ask the developers.
These questions will help you understand their strengths, weaknesses, and development approaches.
As you prepare, always make sure to speak with your team. You should also have a clear understanding of your company’s needs and goals, as well as the projects you need the developer to work on.
Step 3. Talk With Your Team
It’s important to involve your team in the hiring process, especially if you’re hiring a Node.js developer to work with them.
Before meeting with the developer, talk with your team to determine the necessary criteria.
Consider the project’s timeline, budget, and the type of work that needs to be done.
Step 4. Arrange the Necessary Agreements
Once you have selected the best fit Node.js developer, it’s important to arrange the necessary agreements.
Make sure to discuss payment terms, project requirements, and deadlines ahead of time.
Also, be sure to have a contract in place that outlines the terms of the agreement.
How to Hire a Node.js Developer to Develop a Product?
To hire a Node.js developer, there are a few documents crucial to ensure that the developer will create a product according to your conditions.
First, hiring a developer requires all parties to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA).
NDAs are legal documents between all parties working on the product to ensure that everyone agrees to confidentiality conditions.
Additionally, you will need a contract to hire a Node.js developer to develop a product.
Within your contract, you must spell out all of the crucial tasks and conditions the developer is expected to meet.
Node.js is a powerful platform for building web applications, and a Node.js developer is responsible for ensuring that the application is built to perform optimally.
Node.js developers serve numerous purposes to help companies develop applications.
These developers have numerous responsibilities depending on seniority level and can help your organization in a number of ways.
Interested in Hiring Node.js Developer?
You’re not alone. At SPDload, we have a team of experienced Node.js developers that can help you with any project.
Our developers are experienced in developing web applications using Node.js, and they have the skills and experience to help you build a successful project.
We provide full-service software development services to support venture-backed startups and scale-ups targeting large-sized markets.
We also provide custom and advanced Node.js solutions for startups and enterprises with our talented pool of developers.
To hire a Node.js developer from our company or request our guidance, get started at SPDload today.
Here is a summary of our detailed guide. Learn the highlights of who a Node.JS developer is and when you should consider hiring one.